Australian universities are seeing more students from Latin America and Italy than ever before. Given the exceptional standard of education, an impressive variety of subjects to choose from, and the high standard of living, it’s no wonder that Australia is a preferred destination when it comes to university study programs. Australia attracts thousands of international students every year.
If you’re planning to study and stay in Australia for an extended period of time, you’ll need to apply for a student visa. You may want to apply for a tourist visa for shorter courses less than 12 weeks’ duration.
Our experienced migration agents and immigration lawyers are happy to help you obtain the correct visa for your specific purpose.
What Are the Benefits of Obtaining a Student Visa to Australia?
Studying on a student visa can prove beneficial in several ways:
- Work and Study: You can work and study at the same time, which makes it easier to pay for university fees and other living expenses. Unlike many countries that disallow working on a student visa, Australia allows you to work for a maximum of 40 hours per fortnight.
- Depending on the study programme in which you have enrolled, students can benefit from the post-study work program, which authorises you to work after completing your studies.
- You can also include family members, including children, spouse, and de facto partner in your student visa.
Step-by-Step Process of Applying for an Australian Student Visa
The student visa process involves the following six steps.
- First Step – Enrol
Before starting the visa application process, you’ll need to enrol in an Australian university and obtain what is known as the ‘Certificate of Enrolment’ or CoE.
- Second Step – Accounts
Create an online account to apply for your student visa.
- Third Step – Organise Documentation
Keep all your documentation ready. You may need:
- Valid passport
- Adequate health insurance
- Birth certificate
- Bank statements
- Certified grade reports, IELTS certificate for English
If you apply online, you’ll need to upload all your documents in digital format. For more information, please check the government document list to verify the documents required. The list of documents needed may vary depending on where you’re from and the Australian University that you’re applying to.
- Fourth Step – Complete Application
Complete your online application, pay the application fee (usually around 560-575 AUD) and get your TRN number (Transaction Reference Number). You can use this number to check on the status of your application.
- Fifth Step – Check-Up
Depending on where you plan to live or study, you may need to complete a health check-up and attend a visa interview. You’ll need to get your health check-up done by a doctor approved by Australian immigration.
- Sixth Step – Receive an Email
You will receive an email regarding your student visa status.
Student visas are issued if you plan to enrol for courses that last between 12 to 52 weeks. Applicants can renew their student visas multiple times as long as they enrol for CRICOS-approved courses but too many renewals may result in rejection.
How Owen Hodge Lawyers Can Help
Our knowledgeable specialists at Owen Hodge Lawyers can update you with the current student visa requirements and help you with the application process. We also provide assistance with renewals or appeals in case of cancelled or expired visas. Please book a consultation with our legal experts on 1800 770 780 for all matters related to obtaining Australian student visas.