Workers Compensation

Get in touch: 1800 770 780

How can we help?

If you’re injured at work, or on your way to or from work, you have the right to receive workers compensation. However, to align with NSW workers compensation laws you need to prove that:

  • You are a worker and you have sustained a personal injury at your workplace; and
  • The injury sustained by you was caused due to a negligent act or omission of the other workers, or due to faulty work equipment or negligent workplace management.

Our workers compensation lawyers are ready to look after your workers compensation claim. If you’re looking for the personal injury lawyers Sydney residents can trust, look no further.

Workers compensation lawyers ready to look after your injured workers compensation claim

The requirements for making a claim for workers compensation NSW are as follows:

  • First, you should report to your employer, either yourself or through a representative, the injury sustained by you at your workplace;
  • Secondly, details of your injury should be recorded or entered into the employer’s “Register of Injuries”. These details include:
    • Your name, age and address
    • The time and date of your injury
    • The cause and nature of your injury and all other details as may be required by the law of the state where you have sustained the injury;
  • Thirdly, a medical certificate issued by your nominated treating doctor should be provided to your employer in order to obtain weekly payments; and
  • Lastly, a claim for workers compensation should be lodged with the relevant insurance company. Upon acceptance of your personal injury claim, you will be entitled to receive a weekly wage, out of pocket expenses and medical reimbursements.

Learn more:

Our workers compensation lawyers will get you the compensation you deserve

Injured workers are entitled to receive certain compensation for sustaining a work related injury, which includes:

  • Weekly workers compensation payments depending on the gravity of the injury received and the duration of time you have been off work;
  • Reimbursement of medical expenses;
  • Income loss payments in case you are unable to work caused by the injury; and
  • Payment of a lump sum amount for any permanent injury.

Where the injury has caused partial incapacitation, you will be entitled to receive workers compensation after deducting your notional earnings. Notional earnings include the amount that you can earn from a for your present situation, even if you are unable to get such work.

If you become totally and permanently disabled from your workplace injury, you can make a claim for early release of your superannuation fund. In the event your superannuation fund also provides for insurance covering Total and Permanent Disability Compensation Claim (TPD), you can also make a claim for a payout under the TPD insurance policy. Let our workers compensation lawyers help you during this painful time.

Learn more: 

When your workplace injury results in permanent impairment, you may be offered a lump sum amount against your compensation claim. However, you must be very careful while accepting such offers made by the workers compensation insurer. An improper response to such an offer can actually render you incapable of pursuing a common law right to claim damages for pain and suffering under Australian compensation laws.

Learn more: WorkCover claims

It is therefore advisable to seek legal advice from specialist workplace compensation lawyers prior to accepting an offer for lump sum payment. In New South Wales (NSW), lump sum compensation claims for permanent impairment are made under the Workers Compensation Act 1987. You will receive the lump sum compensation in addition to your other benefits including weekly payments, medical expenses, and rehabilitation costs.

Assessment of permanent impairment

The degree of your permanent impairment will be assessed by a medical specialist suitably trained with the guidelines as provided under the “WorkCover Guides for the Evaluation of Permanent Impairment”. Your prospective employer is required to:

  • send the claim to the insurer;
  • respond to queries of the insurer for additional information; and
  • forward any or all the documentation required in relation to the compensation claim to the insurer.

The insurer, upon satisfaction, will accept your permanent impairment assessment and settle your claim for compensation.

The time limit to make a claim depends upon the particular workers compensation laws in the state or territory where your accident took place. In NSW, the time limit to make a claim is generally 6 months from the date of your injury or accident.

You can also make a claim after the expiry of the 6 month period in the event such failure is due to ignorance, mistake or absence from the state where you’re making the claim for workers compensation. A claim for injuries resulting in death or serious permanent impairment may be made within 3 years from the date of the injury or death.

Learn more: personal injury claim time limits

Contact our workplace compensation lawyers to start your claim

The experienced workers compensation lawyers at Owen Hodge Lawyers handle a variety of workplace accidents and workcover claims. Rest assured that the team is familiar with the Workplace Injury Management and Workers Compensation Act 1998 as well as all the other relevant NSW workers compensation legislation, and will handle your case with the utmost care. Get in touch with our experienced workers compensation lawyers (Sydney).

Examples of workplace compensation claims:

Owen Hodge is here to help

Want to make a claim for workers compensation? Speak to the workers compensation lawyers at Owen Hodge.

Get in touch now

Workers Compensation Lawyers

Rolf Howard

Managing Partner, Commercial Litigation Lawyer

Here’s what our clients are saying

Professional but personable too

Although it took over 2 years to get to an out of court settlement with the company, Krislyn kept me up to date on everything that was occurring and all that was required of me during that time.  She was always professional but personable too.

Sue Bancroft

Thank you Krislyn

Thankyou Krislyn for your very much appreciated efforts.

I didn’t expect a positive outcome and it’s obvious that engaging the services of your firm was the best decision I made.

It was lovely meeting you at last.

Warm regards with many thanks.


Thank you very much for your patience and professional advice on our case

We had found Owen Hodge Lawyers when we were very sad and our case was looking helpless ….

Cathleen W

Excellent Legal Advice

Owen Hodge Lawyers have provided me with excellent legal advice. The processes they administered were done thoroughly and all actions communicated clearly. They provide a friendly and considerate service and I would certainly recommend them to others.

Chris Dewhurst

Frequently asked questions

Engaging a workers compensation lawyer is the best way to ensure you get the compensation you deserve. They can guide you through the complicated process of claiming for a work related injury or illness and make sure all your documentation is in order.

This ultimately depends on your situation and your case. We suggest speaking with a WorkCover lawyer at Owen Hodge.

Learn more: personal injury lawyer cost

Workers compensation legislation in NSW allows workers with a work related injury (ie – an injury that has been obtained while the individual is at work) to claim work injury damages.

If you have been injured at work, you have the following rights:

  • To file a workers compensation claim
  • To see a doctor and pursue medical treatment
  • To return to your job after the injury (if approved by your doctor)
  • To be represented by a lawyer
  • To make a Total and Permanent Disability Compensation Claim if you have been permanently disabled from the work related injury

If you can’t work because of an injury received while working, you need to ensure your employer is aware of your situation. Then, you should see if you are entitled to compensation by contacting a personal injury lawyer.