Spousal Maintenance Lawyers Sydney

Get in touch: 1800 770 780

How can we help?

If you’re divorcing, or separating from your de facto spouse, you may be required to pay (or entitled to receive) spousal maintenance. Spousal maintenance is often sought when a spouse cannot support themselves adequately on their own and the other spouse has the income to do so.

Read on to learn more or speak to one of our divorce lawyers for more information.

Related information:

What is spousal maintenance in Australia?

Spousal maintenance is similar to child support, but for the spouse rather than the children. It assists them to meet their reasonable costs of living, such as groceries, utilities and essential medical costs. You can receive spousal support maintenance whether you were married or in a de facto relationship. It can be paid periodically or as a lump sum, depending on the circumstances.

It’s also important to note that spousal support is not an automatic right. But if one spouse is in need of financial support and it can be established that the other has a means or is able to provide that support, then an application to the court can be made.

What is the purpose of spousal maintenance?

Under the Family Law Act 1975, the purpose of spousal maintenance is to support an ex-spouse if there was a substantial difference in the incomes between both spouses (at the date of separation)

It is also designed to support the spouse that took extended leave from the workforce to raise children of the relationship.

What determines spousal maintenance?

While there is no prescribed formula for determining spousal support, the court does take the following into consideration:

  • The income, property and financial resources of both spouses, and their mental/physical capacity to gain employment
  • If the marriage/relationship impacted a spouse’s earning capacity
  • Age and health of both spouses
  • Whether either spouse cares for a child under 18 years of age
  • What is considered a suitable standard of living

What qualifies someone for spousal support?

You are entitled to claim for spousal support if you are unable to financially support yourself because:

  • You care for a child of the relationship who is under 18 years of age and;
  • You took significant leave from the workforce because of this
  • Your age, physical or mental incapacity limits your ability to gain employment
  • Any other adequate reason

How long do you pay spousal support?

There are no time limits for how long spousal support needs to be paid. However, it can stop or change depending on the following factors:

  • The spouse receiving the financial support remarries or starts a de facto relationship
  • False evidence or material facts were hidden when the order was made
  • The amount is no longer adequate or proper
  • The financial circumstances of each party have changed

Speak to Owen Hodge

Whether you need help applying for a spousal maintenance order or you need legal advice, you can trust Owen Hodge. Our spousal maintenance lawyers are experienced and understanding. Get in touch on 1800 770 780 to schedule an initial consultation.

Get in touch now

Family Law Team

Kristy-Lee Burns

Partner, Family and Commercial Lawyer

Kristy Hatcher

Wills & Estate Litigation Lawyer

Pamela Pau

Senior Immigration Lawyer

Here’s what our clients are saying

Dear Kristy-Lee

My divorce has gone through without a hitch. Thank you for all your help and advice through this process.

Mr. F

Helpful and Supportive

During my divorce proceedings I was in a position I had never experienced previously and was not sure what direction to take.

Kristy Lee advised me in a way that was easy to understand but also firm & direct which to my surprise led to a favorable outcome and put an end to any future hardship I could have gone through.

Mr F

I won my case at the Guardianship Tribunal

“I won my case at the Guardianship Tribunal yesterday.. After discussions with my mother, we agreed that it would be in my aunt’s best interest to have the Public Guardian take over as I just cannot manage her doctor’s appointments, support care arrangements, dental, optical appointments etc from so far away… I did however retain my Enduring Power of Attorney position, and it was upgraded to being my aunt’s Private Manager…

Lisa Terrill

Many Thanks

Many thanks to Christine Vrahas, Alice Holman, and James Kelly for all the time and support that was given leading up to the settlement of my Aunts estate.

D. Rae

Thank you Owen Hodge Lawyers Hurstville

I would like to send a big thank you to the team at Owen Hodge Lawyer Hurstville for their collective effort to resolve my late Wife’s estate dispute and all before Christmas.


Thank you, Kristy-Lee

I was always informed and reassured that the outcome of my case would be best for myself but most importantly moving forward with my children and my life.

Kristy-Lee has extensive experience and knowledge in regards to family law and her beautiful nature and considerate approach is what I will be forever thankful for.

Ms F

Thank you Kristy-Lee Burns

I would highly recommend Kristy-Lee to my family and friends for family law matters that they have……


Thank you for making a difficult time easier for us

On behalf of the family I would like to thank you for the professionalism that you have shown in your handling of our mother’s estate. We appreciate it very much. It was a hard and sad time, but your kindness made it so much easier for us.

Ms M

Thank you Family Law Team

Thank you for your time, effort and honesty in assisting me with my case this year.

Mr. G

Thank Debbie and James

Just a quick note to thank Debbie and James for the great work you did for Dad in the sale of his Greglea unit. You made the sale for me very easy to deal with and I appreciate the effort you put into it.

Margaret Crawford