When Can a Minority Shareholder Take Action?

Get in touch: 1800 770 780

How can we help?

Firstly… What is a minority shareholder?

Quite simply, a minority shareholder is one who owns less than 50% of a company. In that great tradition of majority rule, the shareholders who own more than 50% of the company, either individually or collectively, have the final say, assuming they can all agree.

Beyond this simplistic outline, shareholders have rights and obligations.

Every shareholder, major or minor, has the right to receive documentation including notices of meetings, the right to either vote at such meetings or appoint a proxy, and the right to be heard.

To ensure you receive notices, you should keep the company updated with your contact details.


Large company or small … Does it matter?

In the eyes of the law, the answer is No. Being a minority shareholder in a major listed company is fairly normal. It may be that large institutional investors hold the majority of shares, and minority shareholders may feel that theirs is a lone voice. Nevertheless, even as a minority shareholder, you have all the same rights, and you cannot legally be deprived of them.

Things may become more complicated with smaller, unlisted private companies. An example might be a smaller company owned by two families, with one family owning 60% of the shares, and having two directors in the company, the other with 40%, and one director. Many other variations on this theme are possible.

Indeed, minority shareholders in smaller, more tightly held companies may be more at risk. This could be because of closer day-to-day involvement, or the shares not being as liquid, and the possibility of inferred pressure being applied.

Whether a large listed company, smaller unlisted company, or startups, the Corporations Act applies, and the shareholders, large or small, majority or not, must still conduct affairs according to responsible and ethical Australian business codes. Failure to do so is not just unethical, it can also be illegal. 


‘What we have here is a failure to communicate’

… to quote the 1960s Paul Newman movie Cool Hand Luke.

The failure of various shareholder groups to get along or even to agree is not in itself grounds for action – it simply means that more or better communication is required.

However, if a major shareholder uses their voting power to act inappropriately, or to act in such a way that the minority holder is denied rights, is unduly intimidated or unfairly financially disadvantaged, then it may be that there are legitimate grounds for claiming oppressive behaviour. The Corporations Act specifically addresses this situation: Part 2F.1 paragraphs 232 through 235 provides a starting point for reading.

This list of oppressive behaviours is certainly not exhaustive:

  • Denial of access to company records
  • Abuse of voting power
  • Inappropriate action to appoint or remove directors
  • Intimidating or oppressive conduct during board meetings
  • Inappropriate use of company funds
  • Sham investments using company funds
  • Inappropriately using voting power to favour related parties
  • Exclusion from participation

Clear communication, or if it comes to it, professional mediation, will hopefully resolve issues. If not, it may be that you need to progress to sound legal advice from experts in the field.

It will greatly help your cause if you have:

  • Written records of all communications – don’t rely on memory or verbal accounts
  • A written timeline of events
  • Copies of all appropriate documentation

Corporations Act — Australian Business Law … it’s what we do. It will be much easier with sound legal advice from the experts. Owen Hodge Lawyers. We are here to help. Don’t hesitate to contact us if you have any questions regarding minority shareholders, business law queries, or anything else. 


Just ask us a question

We are always ready to help you.