Family Law during Lockdown

Get in touch: 1800 770 780

How can we help?

Sydney and Greater NSW is experiencing déjà vu with the resurgence of the COVID-19 restrictions. The current restrictions in NSW are the toughest we have seen over the entire pandemic.


For those with existing shared parenting orders, there may be confusion and worry regarding the practicality of carrying out orders in the best interest of children, especially where self-isolation and sickness may occur.


It is important to remember that Family Court Orders are still in force.


If you need family law advice please don’t hesitate to reach out to us on 1800 770 780 or email the Owen Hodge Family Law team on [email protected].


Over the past year, the Family Court of Australia, Chief Justice Alstergren and family lawyers across NSW have are working tirelessly to ensure that Family Law Courts remain open and running during these difficult times.


If there are any events that make you question the enforcement of your Orders, here are some helpful hints and tips to remember:


  • A sense of normality is key for children. This includes assisting children to stay in touch with parents, siblings and friends by telephone, video, FaceTime or email.
  • It is considered a reasonable excuse to leave your home to facilitate arrangements for handover of children.
  • It is important to remain calm, flexible and reasonable when making new arrangements to ensure comfort and security for your children. Confirm these arrangements in writing via text or email.
  • If you or your children are required to self-isolate, notify the other parent in writing and provide a copy of any medical advice or certificates issued to the other parent.
  • For those who are impacted by border closures, it is recommended by the Family Court of Australia that families seek advice from relevant State and Territory authorities. You may be required to provide the appropriate court order to get an exemption.
  • In cases of domestic violence, you should notify the police and the courts if there are circumstances where you are not able to comply with shared parenting orders.
  • The Family Relationship Advice Line can assist separated parents to work towards co-parenting. You can call the line on 1800 050 321 or find the details of a Family Relationship Centre near you.

If you have any questions regarding Family Law during this lockdown period, please don’t hesitate to contact us at 1800 770 780 or via email at [email protected]. Our knowledgeable Family Lawyers are always ready to answer any questions you may have.

Just ask us a question

We are always ready to help you.