Conveyancer vs Solicitor: What’s The Difference?

Get in touch: 1800 770 780

How can we help?

When buying or selling a property, it is likely that you will require a professional to assist you with the property transfer. But how do you know whether it should be a conveyancer vs solicitor? Read on to get the information direct from our conveyancing lawyers.


Conveyancer vs solicitor - which to use?

Conveyancer vs Solicitor: Who Does What?

So, conveyancer vs solicitor – let’s look at how both of them can help their clients. Both conveyancers and solicitors can review legal documents, check the contract of sale, assess taxes involved in the purchase, help you ensure payment is made and coordinate time of settlement.

Although conveyancers and solicitors both provide support for property transactions, there are differences between the two which should be considered when engaging a property transfer professional.

What is a conveyancer?

Conveyancers are specialists in property transfers. What does a conveyancer do? They can help with:

  • the paperwork involved in selling or buying a house
  • advising on property inspections and the conveyancing process
  • assisting in the transfer of a property from one party to another.

Their tasks may include:

  • The completion and lodgement of relevant property documents
  • Making enquiries in regards to zoning and titles
  • Providing information on rates and taxes
  • Reviewing the property contract
  • Preparing the settlement statement

The training to become a conveyancer typically involves a one year diploma course and an additional year of supervised training. Conveyancers are limited in the amount of legal advice they can offer clients.

What is a solicitor?

A solicitor is a legal professional who is qualified to deal with conveyancing and other legal matters.

In addition to the tasks a conveyancer can provide, conveyancing solicitors are qualified to offer legal advice and take legal action in relation to your property. Solicitors are generally able to deal with a broader array of complex legal matters in regards to property transfers.

The training to become a solicitor involves at the very least a bachelor degree, which generally takes four years to complete. During the degree, students spend approximately two years studying property-related law.

Which should you choose for your property transfer?

Conveyancer vs solicitor – which should you choose for your property transfer? People often make the mistake of engaging a property transfer professional based merely on price. Although both conveyancers and solicitors can perform many of the same tasks, their differences lie in the more complex matters.

When deciding between a solicitor or conveyancer, it’s important to consider the current and potential future legal matters surrounding your property transaction. Solicitors have a broader knowledge of the law and are often experienced in other types of property law and legal work. If you would like in-depth legal advice surrounding your property and need legal representation, you should engage a solicitor instead of a conveyancer. Owen Hodge Lawyers is one of the most respected conveyancing law firms in Sydney with both solicitors and conveyancers on the team.

If you are looking to buy or sell a property and would like to speak to a qualified solicitor in regards to conveyancing, please do not hesitate to contact Owen Hodge Lawyers. Organise a consultation with the best property lawyers Sydney has on 1800 770 780 today.

Owen Hodge Lawyers contact

At Owen Hodge Lawyers, we always strive to provide you with the best legal advice and guidance – no matter your issue. We specialise in a range of law matters, and have a blog that offers more in-depth and comprehensive articles just like this. Learn more about the role of a barrister vs solicitor and much more today.

People also ask:

Just ask us a question

We are always ready to help you.