Marriage Separation

Get in touch: 1800 770 780

How can we help?

A marriage separation (or de facto relationship breakdown) can occur for a number of reasons. It’s also an extremely stressful and emotional situation for both parties involved. But what does ‘separated’ mean and are there any legal implications?

Read on to learn more or speak to one of our experienced divorce lawyers today.

What does ‘separated’ mean in a marriage?

This may seem obvious at first glance, but there is a little more to it. It is often the case that one party may instigate a marriage separation, but the other party does not readily agree. It is also possible that a couple may be legally separated while still living under the same roof. This may happen for a variety of reasons including:

  • Finances
  • Work-from-home circumstances
  • Child support; or
  • As an interim measure while other accommodation is secured

How is marriage separation determined?

In assessing whether or not a marriage separation has occurred, the court will consider a number of factors, such as:

  • Whether the couple is sharing a bedroom
  • Whether there is an ongoing sexual relationship
  • Are finances being shared, or have they been individualised?
  • Have government agencies, or private institutions such as banks (and, if appropriate Centrelink) been advised?
  • Have friends or family been made aware of the couple’s significantly changed arrangements?

If it is firmly intended that the marriage separation will lead to divorce (or in the de facto case, a property settlement), it is important to establish a definitive timeline, as some events have certain time requirements and impacts.

Learn more: 

How long should a marriage separation last?

In the case of a marriage separation, there are two requirements for the eventual granting of a divorce:

  • That there is no reasonable likelihood of reconciliation, and
  • The parties have been separated for no less than 12 months

The second item might appear clear cut, but it can become complicated—especially if the couple makes attempts at reconciliation.

If a couple reunites for a period of less than 3 months, then the court will aggregate the periods before and after the reunification to determine the total time of separation. On the other hand, if that period exceeds 3 months, but they separate again, the measurement of separation restarts at the beginning of the second occasion of separation.

What happens if I leave my house during separation?

In a marriage separation where the couple has been living in the family home, there is no law that forces one party to leave, irrespective of who owns the home. That said, leaving one’s spouse, home and children and providing no support is described as abandonment, and will be considered as such by the Family Court in future determinations.

When leaving the home, the party leaving has a right to privacy, but this also applies to the spouse who remains. In other words, the party who has left has forfeited any right to simply come and go as they please, or to have any say in the upkeep of, or any changes to, the property.

However, leaving the home does not equate to giving up the rights to the house in future settlement proceedings, although this may be affected by any prior Binding Financial Agreement.

Who pays the mortgage during separation?

Financial institutions only consider whose name/s are on the mortgage document, and they simply expect payment, whether you’re separated or not.

Whatever arrangement the couple arrives at, the person(s) named on the mortgage is responsible.

Marriage separation process: how do we separate?

The marriage separation process can be an emotionally charged time, even when amicable. Unlike marriage or divorce, there is no defined legal process, although as stated above, certain timeframes are important.

It is important to clearly establish with your spouse:

  • Living arrangements
  • Finances – recurring bills, payments, insurance
  • Child custody and parenting arrangements

Owen Hodge is here for you

Whether you’re early on in the decision to separate or want to officially apply for a divorce, you can turn to Owen Hodge’s family lawyers. With years of experience navigating the family law system, we can guide you through the entire process. Get in touch on 1800 770 780 to schedule an initial consultation.

Marriage separation FAQ

Should I stay separated or get divorced?

There is no legal mandate to divorce, unless either party wants to remarry. That said, once divorce is granted there is a 12-month window where property settlement can be applied for.

What should you not do during separation?

  • Don’t make rash decisions while emotionally distraught
  • Don’t attempt to hide assets
  • Don’t cohabit with your spouse for more than 3 months
  • Obtain sound advice from a divorce lawyer

Do you have to support your ex-spouse?

If you have children with your ex, then both parents are legally obligated to financially support their children at least until they turn 18, even after separation. That legal obligation remains, even if one or both parents repartner.

Speak to Owen Hodge

Whether you need help applying for a spousal maintenance order or you need legal advice, you can trust Owen Hodge. Our family lawyers are experienced and understanding. Get in touch on 1800 770 780 to schedule an initial consultation.

Get in touch now

Family Law Team

Kristy-Lee Burns

Partner, Family and Commercial Lawyer

Kristy Hatcher

Wills & Estate Litigation Lawyer

Pamela Pau

Senior Immigration Lawyer

Here’s what our clients are saying

Dear Kristy-Lee

My divorce has gone through without a hitch. Thank you for all your help and advice through this process.

Mr. F

Helpful and Supportive

During my divorce proceedings I was in a position I had never experienced previously and was not sure what direction to take.

Kristy Lee advised me in a way that was easy to understand but also firm & direct which to my surprise led to a favorable outcome and put an end to any future hardship I could have gone through.

Mr F

I won my case at the Guardianship Tribunal

“I won my case at the Guardianship Tribunal yesterday.. After discussions with my mother, we agreed that it would be in my aunt’s best interest to have the Public Guardian take over as I just cannot manage her doctor’s appointments, support care arrangements, dental, optical appointments etc from so far away… I did however retain my Enduring Power of Attorney position, and it was upgraded to being my aunt’s Private Manager…

Lisa Terrill

Many Thanks

Many thanks to Christine Vrahas, Alice Holman, and James Kelly for all the time and support that was given leading up to the settlement of my Aunts estate.

D. Rae

Thank you Owen Hodge Lawyers Hurstville

I would like to send a big thank you to the team at Owen Hodge Lawyer Hurstville for their collective effort to resolve my late Wife’s estate dispute and all before Christmas.


Thank you, Kristy-Lee

I was always informed and reassured that the outcome of my case would be best for myself but most importantly moving forward with my children and my life.

Kristy-Lee has extensive experience and knowledge in regards to family law and her beautiful nature and considerate approach is what I will be forever thankful for.

Ms F

Thank you Kristy-Lee Burns

I would highly recommend Kristy-Lee to my family and friends for family law matters that they have……


Thank you for making a difficult time easier for us

On behalf of the family I would like to thank you for the professionalism that you have shown in your handling of our mother’s estate. We appreciate it very much. It was a hard and sad time, but your kindness made it so much easier for us.

Ms M

Thank you Family Law Team

Thank you for your time, effort and honesty in assisting me with my case this year.

Mr. G

Thank Debbie and James

Just a quick note to thank Debbie and James for the great work you did for Dad in the sale of his Greglea unit. You made the sale for me very easy to deal with and I appreciate the effort you put into it.

Margaret Crawford