Notary Public

Get in touch: 1800 770 780

How can we help?

Notary Public is a senior lawyer who can administer oaths and statutory declarations, witness and authenticate documents, and perform other acts in relation to Australian documents which intend to be used overseas. Public Notaries are appointed by the Supreme Court in accordance with the Public Notaries Act 1997 and the Public Notaries Appointment Rules 1998.

James Kelly is a Notary Public, also known as a Public Notary, who has many years of legal experience and is a partner of Owen Hodge Lawyers.

Generally, documents must be ‘notarised’ by a Notary Public if they need to be used overseas and are signed in or sent from Australia. When documents are sent within Australia they may not need notarising, but instead require certification from a Justice of the Peace, which Owen Hodge Lawyers can determine and arrange.

Our Public Notary can complete multiple signatures, prepare a special certificate or bind documents. The process requires you to bring the original documents and a copy of your licence or passport, for identification purposes. Also be mindful to bring any instructions about how this documents needs to be signed, as some documents need to be taken to the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade or the relevant embassy to obtain an Apostille.

Owen Hodge Lawyers can assist you with this and advise you where to go. The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade will then authenticate documents by certifying they were notarised by a Notary Public. To obtain this authentication you must first see James Kelly to notarise your documents.

Notary Publics are required for the following transactions and documents;

Authenticating official, Government and personal documents for overseas

Certifying copies of documents

Witnessing signatures of individuals to documents and authenticating identity

Witnessing Powers of Attorney for use overseas, including preparing them

Witnessing documents and authenticating status and transactions for corporate and business clients

Dealing with documentation for land, property and deceased estates overseas

Administering oaths, witnessing affidavits, statutory declarations and other documents

Our Public Notary can provide an assessment and quote for notarising your documents, regardless of the destination. If you have documents which require to be signed before a Notary Public, or you need the services of a Notary Public to assist you, please contact James Kelly on 1800 770 780.

For information regarding authentications and Apostilles, contact the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade or the relevant embassy/consulate.

Administration of an Estate – Grant of Probate or Letters of Administration
Assets and Liabilities of an Estate
Contracts Involving Wills
Executors’ Obligations
General & Enduring Guardianship
General & Enduring Power of Attorney
Intestacy Rule
Legal Capacity and Wills
Living Wills and Mutual Wills
Not-For-Profit Organisations: Wills & Bequests
Retirement Village & Aged Care Advice
Retirement Village Accommodation
Revoking a Will
Special Disability Trusts – What Are they and How Can they Assist you

Testamentary Trusts
Blog – Estate Law
Ways to change your Will
Advanced Care Directives
Dementia and the Law
Does A Person Have Capacity To Make A Will?
Enduring Guardianship
How to begin dealing with a Deceased Estates
FAQ about Probate & Executor Duties
Family Provision Act Claims and Estates Disputes
FAQ about Planning For Your Future
Farm Succession Planning
FAQ about Wills & Estate Planning

Guardianship Tribunal Appeals
Granny Flats
How To Write A Will
Notary Public
Power of Attorney
Reviewing Your Trust Deed
Retirement Village & Aged Care Advice
Self Managed Super Funds and Estate Law
Superannuation Complaints Tribunal
Special Disability Trusts
Special Disability Trusts – extension to CGT relief
Substitute decision-making

Talk to Notary Public Lawyers

Owen Hodge is here to help

Get in touch now