Self Managed Super Funds and Estate Law

Get in touch: 1800 770 780

How can we help?


A  power of attorney is a legal document which  allows you  to appoint an attorney who can make decisions in relation to your  financial affairs. Where an enduring power of attorney is prepared, the  attorney you have appointed will be able to continue making decisions in relation to your financial affairs even after you cease to have mental capacity.

The financial decisions that an attorney can make under a power of attorney can be extended to the ability to deal with assets held in a self managed super fund. This can be done by giving the attorney the ability to act as trustee of the fund or as the director of the trustee company that manages the fund. In order for the attorney to have such powers, it is important that the power of attorney clearly states that your attorney is to be given such powers and that these powers are not inconsistent with the terms of the trust deed which establishes the fund and the company constitution in cases where there is a trustee company.

The ability to grant an attorney such powers is particularly useful where you are a member of a self managed super fund as you will usually be either a trustee or a director of the trustee company that manages the fund. In the event that you lose mental capacity or are unable to act as trustee/director and there are no other trustees remaining, an approved trustee will need to be appointed or else the fund will become non-complaint with ATO rules such that the funds in the self managed superfund will need to be transferred to a retail super fund. This can cause adverse tax consequences and practical difficulties where assets need to be liquidated in order to transfer the funds to a retail super fund.

By ensuring that you have an attorney who can act in your place as trustee/director in the event that you are unable to do so, you will be able to reduce the risk of having a non-complying self managed super fund.

For more information, please contact our office.

Administration of an Estate – Grant of Probate or Letters of Administration
Assets and Liabilities of an Estate
Contracts Involving Wills
Executors’ Obligations
General & Enduring Guardianship
General & Enduring Power of Attorney
Intestacy Rule
Legal Capacity and Wills
Living Wills and Mutual Wills
Not-For-Profit Organisations: Wills & Bequests
Retirement Village & Aged Care Advice
Retirement Village Accommodation
Revoking a Will
Special Disability Trusts – What Are they and How Can they Assist you

Testamentary Trusts
Blog – Estate Law
Ways to change your Will
Advanced Care Directives
Dementia and the Law
Does A Person Have Capacity To Make A Will?
Enduring Guardianship
How to begin dealing with a Deceased Estates
FAQ about Probate & Executor Duties
Family Provision Act Claims and Estates Disputes
FAQ about Planning For Your Future
Farm Succession Planning
FAQ about Wills & Estate Planning

Guardianship Tribunal Appeals
Granny Flats
How To Write A Will
Notary Public
Power of Attorney
Reviewing Your Trust Deed
Retirement Village & Aged Care Advice
Self Managed Super Funds and Estate Law
Superannuation Complaints Tribunal
Special Disability Trusts
Special Disability Trusts – extension to CGT relief
Substitute decision-making
The Succession Act
Transition to Aged Care
Wills & Estate Planning

Talk to Owen Hodge Lawyers

Owen Hodge is here to help

Get in touch now